Dec 27, 2013

The adventure begins...



After months of preparing (physically and mentally) lots of trips to REI, and of course SF airport traffic on Christmas eve I had finally settled into my 5 hour United Airlines flight nestled between two bigger passengers (yup I had a middle seat). The adventure had begun. I still don’t understand how people sleep on flights let alone in a middle seat. I always walk off of my red eye flights… well RED EYED and far from bushy tailed. The guy sitting next to me on the other hand had NO problem passing out for the entire flight. I thought about how to nicely wake him up so I could get out to go to the bathroom. Turns out there is no nice way. His tray table was out, legs fully extended, and snores galore… I couldn’t even jump over him. So I waited patiently for the lights to turn on so he’d wake up and I’d have bladder relief. Thank goddess for TV entertainment; I watched the Steve Jobs movie (the movie doesn’t do him justice, the book is much better).

12 hours in NYC on Christmas Eve. I was desperately in need of food, a mani/pedi (something had to fall off the last minute list) and a nap… preferably all at once. Surprisingly although the city stays awake all night the airport doesn’t. At 6:30 am there were only a couple of places open, I found one that had eggs and coffee. The thought of leaving the airport in search of a spending time at a luxurious spa relaxing with cucumber water and a steam room sounded delightful. The act of it sounded exhausting. So I settled for the Xpress Spa at the airport. There was no cucumber water but there was an amazing massage chair that reclined all the way back into a bed… I had found heaven. 3 hours later I felt refreshed from my massage chair power nap (free of charge) and no pleasantly surprised by my new manicure.

Time to leave the airport, it was 1pm and I still had 5 hours to kill. I grabbed a taxi and head out to East Village to meet an old friend for coffee. According to Google maps I was only 30 minutes away, according to NYC traffic I was an hour and 15 minutes away. Traffic on Christmas eve?! Shouldn’t these people be at home enjoying dinner with the family… ugh! I walked up to the cafĂ© and was greeted by a big “closed” sign… I couldn’t help but laugh. We walked down the street to another place and sat down with a cup of coffee to catch up. It was a nice break from airline food and passenger seats.

6pm and I’m back at the airport looking forward to another 6 hour flight, this was one was international which means one very important thing… free wine! My second thought was hmm… the wine would be so much better in business class… I wonder if I can upgrade. For those that know me know my motto “it never hurts to ask, the worst they can say is NO”. So I walked over to the counter and kindly asked the Swiss rep if there was any more availability in business class. He took my passport and boarding pass and asked me not to board until he called my name. Yes sir.  When my name was called I was handed a business class boarding pass, yes my friends it was a free upgrade! I had my fully reclinable seat (with massage) between to table rests vs. two people. Before I could wipe the smile on my face for the luxuriously upgraded ambience I was handed a glass of champagne… could this get any better?! I was given a menu to order breakfast (it was only 6pm at night) and then later asked what I wanted for dinner (options included steak, sea bass, or chicken) and lastly what I wanted to drink (wine options included: Swiss wine, Australian wine, or a Boudreaux). Needless to say I was a happy flier… I love you Swiss airlines!

Zurich arrived quicker than I’d have liked, I was still enjoying my luxury seat. We arrived early and the Zurich airport was even more desolate than the NYC airport. It was a quick 2-hour lay over. I thought I’d try my luck again and ask for an upgrade. The Swiss were not so accommodating; the exchange went something like this:

Me: “Hi, I was able to get upgraded to business class on my previous flight, do you have any business class seats available?” 
Swiss Air: “Yes, we have seats available. It will cost $1000. Shall I upgrade you?”
 Me: “1,000 dollars?! That’s half my flight cost. No thank you. Can I get moved to an aisle seat at least?”
Swiss Air: “ No. We don’t have any. But I see that your luggage tag is not yet on the plane. Give me your tag so I can confirm your luggage”
Me: Oh, that would be much appreciated. Please make sure my luggage gets on the plane”
Swiss Air: Okay, you’re all set
Me: So my luggage was transferred, correct?
Swiss Air: Yes.

At least something good came out of that exchange. My bag didn’t get left behind. But I still wanted an aisle seat for this long flight. I thought I’d ask the other lady (who by the way happily upgraded a party of 4). She said there were no upgrades available but kindly moved me to an aisle seat. Why the other lady didn’t do that, I have no idea but I chalk it up to poor customer service and laziness!


From business class to economy class… talk about disparity! It occurred to me that the class system so heavily prevalent in society exists on a very similar level on the plane and it boiled down to choice. My seat was tiny with barely any legroom and I was shoulder to shoulder with the man next to me. There were no choices. If you’re rich you are offered lots of choices but if you’re not you take what you can get. IT contradicts our human nature to seek out autonomy and have choice. No wonder people are so grumpy coming off of planes. For 8 hours they are confined to their seat at the mercy of the airhostess. Okay, I admit I might be being a bit over dramatic here but that’s what happens when you have had no sleep and are on malaria medicine.

To be continued...