Dec 19, 2011

Vipassana Part 4: Flow


Today is vipassana day; the previous day was just prep work but today starts the technique. You can’t work with your body if you don’t even know where, who, what the breath is. I remember when we learned this last time I was in tears. The fluid flow of sensations that engulfed me during the practice was overwhelming and supportive at the same time.

I closed my eyes and intently listened to the instructions which I quite honestly had forgotten so I was thankful for the repetition.  “Start at the toop of the head, toop of the head.” Goenkaji said in his Indian accent (top really did sound like toop). I scanned my body from sensations… they were few and far between. It was little frustrating, where did the good vibrations go, I wondered. Even though you are not supposed to look for sensations you can’t help but look.

As I scanned and breathed for the next two hours, my sensitivity grew and soon enough there was no shape and no form. I can’t say I was physically floating but it sure as hell felt like I was. There was no thought, no noise… a subtle sound resonated in my ears vibrating on a whole other frequency. I remember a friend who said he could hear “Om” when he was in yoga poses… it sounded amazing. I think this is what he was talking about… that primordial sound that is constantly there underlying all other sounds. It was magical and crazy and cool and impermanent. While I was in that space it felt like I was there forever, in reality it might have been a few moments but those moments I was there.

The walk to the dining hall that evening was different. My senses were heightened and colors and sounds seemed more vibrant. The subtle movement of leaves in the breeze was exaggerated. The breeze was ever so slight but the leaves danced with one another on their tree and with those on the tree next to them… trees have no barriers. And then there was the cat, that resembled so closely a baby cheetah, she moved gracefully and slowly with awareness and precision, focused on its prey.  She was serious, you could see it in her body but she was calm and collected. She knew that any haste move would destroy her chances. The courting of the prey lasted about 30 minutes before she pounced. Us humans sit order and devour our meals in half that time with no recollection of what we ate! We could learn a lot from a cat.


Read more... Vipassana Part 5: Noble speech

mettaLOVE
ritu riyat