Jan 22, 2012

Novice Cyclist Series: Bike shopping- "The One"



When I think of  “my” bike shop, I imagine a place that I could drop by any time and ask a question, a place that is friendly and knowledgeable, a place that is eager to help and support me as a growing cyclist and a place that goes above and beyond to make their customers happy. That being said I called up The CyclePros and told them about my interest in the Scott Foil R2. They didn’t have it in stock but ordered one and in a short week it was at the shop. 

Thrilled at their level of service (and the beer that they gave me the first time) I knew it was MY bike shop. I stopped by a Friday evening to check out the bike. It looked like the R2, it felt like the R2, it moved like the R2 … but it didn’t say R2, instead it was a Foil 20. WTF?! I called up the other bike shop to clear up the confusion. Turns out Scott changed the name after its initial release in order to be consistent with all their products. Well, that’s a bummer. Then the question was asked “Does a sticker really matter?”  …