May 27, 2012

Novice Cyclist Series: Helping Hands



Today marked the grand finale of the South Bay training series and what better way to do it than with a Century ride. The group has worked hard over the last 6 months starting with a mere 25 miles and slowly working themselves up to 100 miles and for some it was their first century, for others like myself it was just another training ride. I find it surreal to feel or say such a thing, just last year I was completing my first century and experiencing the flood of emotions and feelings that come along with the accomplishment, after doing 10 more after that the novelty has worn off.

To be honest my goal for this century ride was to get done quick, I had scheduled a flight later in the evening and was on a pretty tight schedule. The universe, however, had a different plan in mind.

Riders new and old gathered at the meet point and prepared to ride out. While crossing over the Dumbarton Bridge I met Jim, a first time ALCer, he asked if we could stop and take a picture of him on the bridge, he hadn't ever crossed it before. Right then I realized today's ride was going to be different. In taking Jim's picture I realized how many times I had crossed over that same bridge oblivious to my surroundings and never once having taken a picture to capture the moment. So of course a picture was warranted, but along with that a quick look around to take in the surroundings. So often we speed  by overlooking some of the most beautiful, picturesque glimpses of nature.

The ride continued and the heat poured in. By rest stop 3 I was tired and it was hot! A couple of the other newbies decided to sag so it was just me, another TRL and Jim left at the tail end to take it home with 40 miles to go. It was Jim's first Century ride, he had started riding this year and was a fairly strong rider. With a few tips and techniques tricks he became even stronger. By the last 20 miles the fatigue was setting in... the end was near but not close enough and there was still work to do. Initially I was anxious riding with a slower rider, I had a flight to catch! When I let go of that ego, I settled into a space of compassion and committment. I was committed to Jim finishing this ride. Encouragement, a few laughs, and some coaching got him to the end.

While turning into the parking lot we congratulated Jim for his accomplishment, he experienced the reaction that most of us have experienced after our first century, a rush of emotion and overwhelming joy. He expressed a heart felt gratitude and thanked us for helping him make it to the end, he sincerely stated he couldn't have done it without us. In that moment, nothing else mattered. I had been questioning why I had become a TRL, initially it was to help out another newbie and coach them to transcend from novice to intermediate, but after almost 6 months of training I gave up on that idea and decided I wouldn't TRL next year. Working with Jim today made TRL'ing worth it, his dedication and determination is the reason why I am out there wearing the TRL jersey, to him I made a difference.

2 more weeks until the ride!

metta
ritu