Jan 28, 2012

Novice Cyclist Series: Let the training begin...



Weekend 1 was 2 weeks ago and consisted of 40 miles on Saturday and 25 on Sunday.A little crazy you say?! YES, I concur. I admit ego played a role. I had been looking forward to training again and although I wasn't consistent about being on my bike every week since ALC 10, I got some rides and felt pretty good about diving right in. Plus this year training is not for one but two challenges, I was crazy enough to sign up for the Death Ride! Anyways, I survived weekend 1 with minor aches and pains. It was also the first weekend of me riding as an ALC TRL. I highly respected the TRL's that helped me evolve as a cyclist last year and therefore decided to give back and help another. After my first ride on "TRL duty" I have a new found respect for these folks. TRL's on the ride are selfless beings who put their own "ride" to the side for the sake of supporting and helping another rider. They stop when they don't want to, slow down when they'd rather go fast, and crawl up brutal hills in order push another rider. It is no easy feat. As a newbie TRL I was a little intimidated... do I know enough to help someone else? Why would they listen to me? I don't want to police people! These were some of the thoughts that went through my brain... I found myself feeling like a newbie all over again. It wasn't until towards the end of the ride when I was riding with another rider that my TRL voice came out... try shifting up a gear so you can use your energy more efficiently... she did and it worked. "Way to go!" As we mosied along the road I found myself encouraging and encouraged by this rider..it was selflessly selfish, I was teaching and learning at the same time. We finished the ride. I learned that just as it took practice and patience to grow as a cyclist it takes the same to evolve as a TRL. I look forward to the journey.