Jan 26, 2013

One Bicycle. 545 Miles. 7 Days. Take 3!

545 miles. ALC 12 

Yup. We meet again. For my 3rd year in a row I will be riding 545 miles over the course of 7 days in the fight against AIDS. My first year doing ALC was new, exciting, challenging, all in all a blast so naturally I signed up for more. And more I got. Last year’s ride was also new, and exciting, and challenging in its own way. As the days went on the thought of it being my last year riding got me through to day 7. But the gratitude I met at the finish line is what brings me back again…
SO… here we go again.

For those that read my story last year and followed along on my ALC journey could vouch that I started off a complete beginner, finding myself at my first training ride in bike pants that were slightly big, a yoga top with no pockets, and an open and anxious mind. By the end of that ride, strangers became friends and the story began. I grew mentally and physically through the challenges each ride and route had to offer. Learning the basics of turning, stopping, shifting, fitting, and ofcourse styling! I couldn’t have done it without the most important people – my fellow riders and training ride leaders.

This year I am back. I am back to support a cause that I believe so strongly about. To support  people everywhere across all borders, colors, races and religions that are at risk to be infected with HIV/AIDS. Which basically means everyone! I’m back to break the barriers of stigma that prevent people from realizing the severity and impact of this disease.  I’m back not only as a fellow rider but also as a training ride leader. Why? Because I want to pay it forward and help out some other newbie who shows up to the first training ride wearing underwear under her bike shorts, riding on an old craigslist bike and determined to do this ride (true story). With all these reasons how could I NOT come back!

I look forward to a new year and experience of ALC, an opportunity to grow, to serve, and to unite with an amazing community of people!

I hope you will ride with me this year, if not physically then with your support. Last year, ALC raised 13 million dollars to support two fabulous organizations. I hope we beat it this year. Remember every penny counts, and every message of love is just as meaningful. To place a kind donation visit www.tofighthiv.org/goto/ibike

Fact:
In 2009 About 2 million adults were newly infected with HIV/AIDS

Fact:
In 2009 women accounted for just over half of all adults living with HIV/AIDS worldwide.children

Fact:
People of color are infected at disproportionate rates

Fact:
One person CAN change the world!

So here I am taking on this challenge again, and hopefully alongg the way help another person go from novice rider to ALC rider and support a cause that impacts everyone, everywhere.  There are no coincidences, everything happens for a reason and I truly believe that is true for me and my involvement with HIV/AIDS awareness.

I have set a goal to raise $5,0000 dollars that will go towards the SF AIDS Foundation.  I am asking for your support to help me meet this goal. So take a moment, a deep breath, and if you feel compelled to please donate whatever you can. The suggested donation is $50. Remember to check with your company matching program to cause a ripple effect with your every dollar. To place a donation visit www.tofighthiv.org/goto/ibike
I’ll keep you posted on my training with blog updates so check back to hear the latest and greatest from my bicycle diaries!

Thank you with love and gratitude
Ritu Riyat