May 26, 2013

I can't on repeat

images


One of my cycling buddies and ALC donor kindly pointed out that I hadn’t posted any updates on my training and experience with ALC this year. I looked at my blog and he was right, in fact I hadn’t posted much of anything since the start of this year. I wish I could say I’ve been busy writing on my wellness blog but unfortunately that would be a lie since I haven’t posted much on there as well. I have a long list of great blog titles followed by white space. I haven’t been able to pinpoint it to lack of motivation, busyness, or writer’s fatigue.

Digging a little deeper I realized that’s kind of how training has been for me this season. As you may remember I did my first ALC ride, 3 years ago. I was a complete nube, hence the novice cyclist series, and with the help of some amazing ride leaders, supportive family and friends, and an internal drive I not only did ALC but I did every effin inch of ALC and LOVED IT! The ALC high brought me back for year 2, which wasn’t as amazing as year 1 but I chalk that up to “first timers effect”. The ride was intense last year and I had almost decided it was my last year until I finished and that “high” flushed over me… again! So, of course, I signed up.

And here I am a week away from “take off” and feeling like that nube from 2 years ago who wore panties underneath her bike shorts. Albeit I believe the old sang, “Once you learn how to ride a bike you never forget” and although my brain and body haven’t forgotten my sit bones certainly have! Needless to say I went from training 3 days a week in year 1 to 3 days a month in year 3. It’s going to make for an interesting and adventurous ride.

Last week “taper down” training ride was a mere 67 miles and 5,000 feet of climbing, my brain translated that to 167 miles and 15,000 feet of climbing and immediately began blasting the “I can’t ” story… ON REPEAT! I have heard this story before in Crossfit or on a long run but it had been a while since I heard it on the bike. I spent the first 20 miles trying to shut down the obnoxious voice in my head that kept saying “it’s too hard, let’s go home, I’m tired, I shouldn’t be doing this right now, I don’t feel well” somewhere on the climb the story lost steam or maybe my muscles needed more fuel and decided to shut down the auto repeat cd player in my head. FINALLY. I could see the colors around me; smell the fresh air and smile.

Meditation and Yoga teaches me that moment is a new moment. Who I was when I started writing this post is not “exactly” who I am right now and who I will be at the end of this post. Subtle shifts are constantly occurring and our intelligent beings adapt and keep moving forward. I realized that each time I get on my bicycle and ride a part of me IS still a nube but another part of me is experienced and knows how to keep moving forward. One stroke at a time. Therefore each ride will be unique and filled with its own challenges and triumphs. Am I ready to take on the challenge this year? I don’t know. But I know I will embrace it and keep moving forward.

The journey continues…Stay tuned…
mettaLv
Ritu Riyat
p.s. donations are still being accepted, please visit www.tofighthiv.org/goto/ibike