Jun 2, 2013

The ride is bigger than me

ALC Day 0

It’s here…. Day 0 aka ALC 2013 orientation. My nerves were kicking all day today from excitement and nervousness of the journey. Although I’ve done the ride for the past 2 years, it’s always a “different” ride. A part of me misses the curiosity, wonder, and unknown of year 1 and a part of me looks forward to sitting back and enjoying the view as a veteran rider knowing that the I will eventually get to the destination.

A big part of Day 0 is watching the 40 minute mandatory safety video with undivided attention (cell phones off, eyes up). For me this video strengthens the spark that brought me to ALC in the first place… to support the fight against HIV/AIDS. Seeing the statistics scroll across the screen and hearing from infected riders who at one point lost hope and with the help of  SF AIDS Foundation and others like it, were given a second chance – is what inspires me to ride.  It’s a reminder of all the people and programs I’ve worked with over the last 14 years in the fight against AIDS and I ride to honor the work being done all over the world.

545 miles is no joke, I’ll be sore, exhausted, and even emotionally drained and delerious… it’s at these moments that my mantra will keep me going “the ride is bigger than me” it’s a movement, it’s a mission, it’s life for someone out there.

I am so grateful for all the generous donations and kind works over the last few months, you are all riding with me in spirit!

51 weeks out of the year I’m a wellness program manager…. this week I’m a force against HIV/AIDS!
Let’s ride….

I’ll try to post updates on my blog and on twitter @rituriyat #alc2013
in gratitude
ritu